Introduction to Herbalism
Learn how to care with herbs and natural remedies
This series of six consecutive workshops give you a base to develop autonomy in caring for your health with medicinal plants. Focus on prevention to support your health. Care for yourself and your family with any day to day health issues. Learn to make a herbal extract (tincture), infused oil, ointment and syrup.
Each workshop covers four elements: cultivation (gardening), a system of the body, four medicinal plants, a method of transformation of the medicinal plant.
- Session 1:Introduction to medicinal herbs, how they present themselves, their parts, the quality, fresh versus dry and doses. Metabolism. Presentation of four herbs – Nettle, Red clover, Raspberry, Catnip. Demonstration of infusion, decoction.
- Session 2:Harvesting what and when. Digestive system - the microbiome, how to protect it, how to nurture it. Presentation of four herbs – Dandelion, Marshmallow, Mint, Slippery elm. Making a digestive extract.
- Session 3: Building soil. Nervous system and hormone balance through life - caring for these systems day to day and when extra care is needed. Presentation of four herbs – Oats, Lemon balm, Chamomile, Borage. Tincture making.
- Session 4: Grow what and where. Immune system - how to support it and the related respiratory system. Presentation of four herbs: Echinacea, Garlic, Nasturtium, Thyme. Herbal syrup making.
- Session 5: Propagation. Healthy skin - looking after the integrity of the skin. Presentation of four herbs: Calendula, Comfrey, Chickweed, Burdock. Ointment making.
- Session 6: Review cultivation, Bio-Dynamic. Bones, muscles, ligaments. Presentation of the action of herbs: nutritive, alterative, adaptogens and depurative. Poultice making. Natural remedy cabinet. Question time.
Dates: This workshop is given twice in 2019. Choose either the first or second series.
First series of 6 consecutive sessions- February 23rd, March 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
Second series of 6 consecutive sessions- May 18th, 25th, June 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd
Time: 9:00am to 12:00pm
Place: Tallebudgera on the Gold Coast
Number of attendees: limited to 10 people
A light meal is serve around 11:00am.
Handout notes are given for each session to take home.